The recall of Takata brand air bag systems has been made mandatory by the New Zealand Government. This follows on from the initial recall in 2016.
For a full explanation of what you need to know about the Takata brand air bag systems, visit the NZTA website
Recalls happens when there is a potential fault and vehicle owners should act on all recall notices.
There are two types of Takata brand air bag systems – Alpha and non-Alpha air bags. The Alpha type poses a higher risk and are the air bags which have been mandatorily recalled.
The Alpha type are older design fault that means they pose the most severe risk of failure in a crash. If your vehicle has an Alpha type Takata brand air bag system we strongly advise you to contact your manufacturer promptly.
We have discussed the recall of Takata brand air bag systems with our five Manufacturer brands to ensure we are able to provide our customers with accurate information. They have advised us as follows:
- There are no Mitsubishi vehicles with the Alpha type Takata brand air bag systems. However, there are some Mitsubishi vehicles with non-Alpha air bags which are not part of the mandatory recall. Mitsubishi Motors NZ contacted a number of customers and had these replaced.
- There are no Holden vehicles with the Alpha type Takata brand air bag systems. However, there are some Holden vehicles with non-Alpha air bags which are not part of the mandatory recall. Holden NZ may provide more information around these non-Alpha air bags at a later date.
- There are no Hyundai models are equipped with Takata brand air bag systems.
- There are no Kia vehicles in New Zealand subject to the global Takata Airbag recall.
- There are no Suzuki models equipped with the Takata brand air bag systems.
Even if your vehicle isn’t affected by this recall, all Manufacturers from time to time release safety recalls and service campaigns. As a franchise dealer we can check if your vehicle has any outstanding recalls or campaigns and make arrangements to get this work completed at no cost to yourself.
For your peace of mind, please feel free to contact our Customer Services team on 04 568 1160 if you have any questions or concerns about the airbags in your vehicle.